Major Adoption-Related Events

  • 09-04-29 Part One Sponsorship Application Completed and Sent
  • 08-11-04 Dossier in Ethiopia -- the wait begins
  • 08-10-24 Dossier on its way to Ethiopia
  • 08-10-23 Dossier back to Imagine
  • 08-10-17 Dossier to Ottawa
  • 08-10-07 Dossier (finally complete) at Imagine
  • 08-09-10 Dossier (most) Sent to Imagine
  • 08-09-04 Provincial Approval Received
  • 08-07-08 Completed Dossier Sent to Province for Approval
  • 08-06-26 HAR Signed and sent back to ABC
  • 08-05-16 HAR Started
  • 08-04-22 Int'l Adoption Self-Study Course Completed
  • 08-04-07 Application sent to ABC
  • 08-02-19 Initial Application faxed to Imagine
  • 08-02-16 References Requested from Friends

Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Summer. Ahhh, summer.

So the decision is made: up to 18 months it is. I got an email from Grace about it, because I really wanted to get the perspective of someone who has been there. I loved each stage of Jonahs (my apostrophe is not working -- forgive me) life, and at each one, went, Oh I wish he could stay this way. But he really does keep getting better. I mean I could do without his recent attitude, but otherwise, I think hes great. But I don't (contrary to what I thought) miss that baby stage. I like the interactiveness of the older kidlet. So even though I was right set on a baby baby, I think a toddler will be a fine fit. And I think that being home with little gal for almost a year will do wonders for her ability to attach.
I'm pretty desperate at this time for a job in E-town right about now. Even my school librarian thinks I should just quit and move back to the city. You need a life! She keeps telling me. And I do. And even if I have to take a ker-appy job, well, if it pays okay, it'll do. Thatll do donkey, thatll do.
I continue in my search for a dream home for less than $200000 (stop laughing). I know it is a tough find in the city, and I'm sure my realtor is getting tired of knowing me. Ive looked at, um, probably 20+ houses with him. Put in an offer, but was outbid (dangit). So the hunt continues. Cest la vie. Something will turn up. And it helps that I am looking to buy in the inner city because more options (well, the only options really), but my biggest requirement is that I'm within walking distance of Hasheba, my new favorite Ethiopian restaurant, with their Wednesday all-vegan buffet.
Next week, we will check out seven more. I've got a feeling about these ones. Wish me luck!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

HEY HAZEL!!

So, I haven't heard anything of Hazel in a hundred years and can't get to her blog. Are you there? How do I find you again?

Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Big Debate

I'm debating about my referral request. It's going to be about a hundred years before I see my girl's face. My kids will not be three or four years apart -- more like six. That's a big difference from what I expected going into this process. I had made my request 0-6 months because I was worried about attachment, and the timelines from referral to travel seemed pretty long when I started this process. But now, court is moving along much quicker, and IA has changed their policy to now allow parents to travel to get their munchkins (and stay in Ethiopia until visas are issued) right after court.
All of these things change the game a bit. And seeing as how we're creeping up on two years of waiting and I don't want any lapse in my file, and will have to get it updated soon anyway, I'm thinking I may change my referral request too. I think I'll accept 0-18 months. Baby will be with me before age two, and I will have plenty of time off for bonding after court passes, and besides, my referral will come earlier, so my kids will be more like 4 1/2 years apart. It seems logical and reasonable to me. Feedback, people?